Vol-au-vent is a popular main dish in Belgium. This meal can be found on the menus of most restaurants. A pastry filled with a combination of chicken, mushrooms, and small meatballs can be served with mashed potatoes or French fries. In France, vol-au-vent is usually served as an appetizer or a small snack.
For 4 persons
- 350 gr chicken fillet
- 250 gr minced meat
- 3 tablespoons of breadcrumbs
- 1 egg
- 400 ml chicken broth
- chicken spices (for example; basil, paprika, parsley, thyme, rosemary, garlic)
- 500 gr small mushrooms
- 1 lemon
- 1 dessert spoon chopped parsley
- Slice the chicken in cubes of 2x2 cm. Chop the mushrooms finely. Add both in a 2.5-liter non-perforated pan. Season with pepper and add your chicken spices, add lemon juice and stir everything together.
- Mix the mince with the breadcrumbs, egg and parsley. Season to taste. Roll small balls and place them on top of the chicken.
- Steam 4 min at 120c or 12 min at 100c. Add the warm stock and stir well.
- Start another 3 minutes at 120 or 9 minutes at 100c. Then add the cream and the binder, stir firmly. Steam for another 2 minutes at 120c or 6min at 100c.
Tip1: This dish can be served as a quiche, with fries, puree or with rice.
Tip2: Place the chicken and vegetables in a perforated pan with an unperforated pan underneath. This way you can absorb the moisture before finishing the sauce